Get in Game Shape

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Be a team player

In my first full year in the Major Leagues with the Pittsburg Pirates I didn't play very much. I was the designated left handed pinch hitter. 162 games and I only started 3 games the whole year. 2 games in May, and 1 game in Sept. But I was called upon in very tough and clutch situations to come through off the bench and get a big hit or keep a rally going. I learned very early in the season that I had to become a good teammate and keep myself mentally and physically ready each and everyday. I became what you would call a cheerleader for the everyday players. By becoming a team player and a good teammate I ended up playing the full year in the Major Leagues with the World Champion Pittsburgh Pirates and established myself as one of the best pinchitters in the game. Oh, by the way I earned the name that year that people recognize me today as the "HitMan", by being patient and being a good team player, and a good teammate. If you are not a starter on your team be patient and wait for your opportunity, you never know you might become the next "HitMan".

Stay Focused
Mike "The HitMan" Easler

No comments:

Post a Comment